When you have a home you want to furnish and an allotted budget, you’ll likely want to use every last penny – and if there’s a chance to add in some nice luxury decor to your interior design, why not, right? Thing is, just because a piece of decor is a luxury item doesn’t immediately make it worth the purchase. Interestingly, a lot of stunning interior designs are stunning not because of their luxury items, but rather in how they’re used.
So if you do find yourself in a bind, especially if you want to purchase an expensive piece of furniture, then this guide is definitely built for you.
1. Choose the kind of luxury furniture you want: Luxury furniture comes in different types depending on the piece of furniture you want to buy. This is important, as this usually decides how pricey a luxury piece is depending on its make and features. Pricey chairs are likely to be cheaper than luxury tabletops, but a sophisticated set piece can set you back a ton compared to a modern coffee table.
- Make sure your luxury furniture is constructed well. For wood-based furniture, try to avoid pieces that are stapled or put together through nails. Screws are usually good, as are dowels or pieces slotted together on holes. Try to check its durability as well – if you can easily put a scratch on a piece, then it’s not exactly as sturdy as it seems.
- Check if the overall appearance is something you like. What sort of finish color, stain, or exposed wood does it have? Fabrics of lighter color usually work in formal settings, while darker fabrics work more for regularly-used furniture. This can affect the way the furniture makes an impact to a design.
2. Luxury doesn’t necessarily mean you break your budget: Just because you’re choosing a luxury piece of furniture doesn’t necessarily mean you should destroy your wallet. When choosing a luxury furniture, try to make it a point to choose luxury furniture as cheap as possible – be it from second or even third-hand sources. Luxury sources are durable and stylish, so they tend to get passed down from owner to owner. And if you do have to buy an expensive piece of furniture, you can at least make sure it lasts for a long time.
- Gold usually works for any kind of luxury piece. Even if it’s not high-grade gold, if it complements the rest of the piece’s design, it can definitely add sophistication and emphasis to any room. If there’s a way to get a piece with good gold accents for cheap, this is the way to go.
- This doesn’t mean you should be reckless, though – luxury is still expensive. When you hire moving companies NYC or in your state, try to make sure they’re aware that some furniture they’re handling needs extra care.
3. Remember your home and interior layout: When you buy luxury furniture, try to remember that a huge part of its “luxury” is stemmed in the feeling they emanate as people enter the room. This means your luxury furniture can only work wonders if it’s right for the kind of home setup you have. Don’t force a modern-style luxury furniture if your home is built strongly on a retro or classic look.
- Ideally, luxury furniture should be spread out across your home. Even if you have the money, don’t spend all of it on decorating just a single part of your home. If it’s at all possible, try to choose a luxury furniture piece depending on the room you want to decorate.
- Aside from the price and its main “look,” it helps to understand that some luxury furniture pieces work best as room highlights or subtle decoration.
- Try to apply minimalism and contrast when decorating according to room layout. Luxury pieces will likely have iconic designs, so they will most likely pop. Do you want it to “pop” on its own, or do you want your luxury piece to highlight a specific aspect of your home – such as other furniture?
- When you hire professionals such as moving companies during your move, it helps to know your preferred layout beforehand so they can assist you much better when placing your luxury furniture.
Luxury Isn’t Always Pricey: It’s Also How You Use It
If there’s anything the above can share, it’s the reality that there’s more to luxury furniture items than meets the eye. Aside from their tendency to be noticeable on the get-go, there’s not necessarily a guarantee that these furniture will add value to your home. It helps to realize that certain luxury items can be best used in certain home conditions, and other luxury items really don’t fit a particular profile.
Remember, choosing a luxury item for your furniture and interior design takes a lot of deliberation and discussion. This is especially if you’re going to buy an expensive piece of luxury furniture that may not even fit your home. Try to take note of the above tips to avoid such a mistake.